Self Introduction Letter

Dear Professor Brad,


My name is Tan Hwee Leen, and I am a Year 1 mechanical engineering student attending your critical thinking and communication module. 


I received a mechanical engineering diploma from Ngee Ann Polytechnic before pursuing my education at Singapore Institute of Technology. As I have always enjoyed maths and physics since secondary school, I decided to take this course. The fact that my relative is a mechanical engineer provided me with a lot of information about this industry is another factor that contributed to my interest in the field. 


I believe that one of my greatest strengths in communication is being an active listener. I often identify as an INFP after taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator tests; this personality type is known for being a good listener and for effortlessly putting people at ease. To demonstrate understanding, I frequently paraphrase my own words and share personal experiences. My weakness in communication is when my hands will get sweaty when I present or speak in front of people, especially a large group of people. 


As important as it is for an engineer to be able to solve problems, they should also be able to think critically and communicate effectively. Through this session, I hope to improve my confidence and public speaking abilities. I want to be able to give organised speeches or presentations confidently so that my audience will understand me better.


As the proverb goes “Failure is the stepping stone to success”, I am not afraid of failure and neither do I lose hope when I fail. I truly believe in this proverb as I used to score poor grades that could not get me into the course that I wanted in polytechnic. Instead of dwelling on it, I pushed myself and got into the course that I wanted for university.


Best Regards, 

Hwee Leen


Read: Xing He & Yu Han blogs



Comments

  1. Hi Hwee Leen,

    Your introduction letter is very informative and detailed. The flow of your letter is good and there isn't any grammar mistakes or problems with your sentence structure. I have the same weakness as you and understand how you feel when presenting to a large group. Good job and all the best overcoming your weakness.

    Regards,
    Xing He

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hwee Leen, I generally liked that your content and it was very informative, but i feel like some of your sentence structures could be further improved. eg, "As i have always enjoyed maths and physics since secondary school, I decided to take this course" could be structured into "I decided to take this course as...." etc. This will make your content easier to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Hwee Leen,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and yet fairly detailed letter and the personal sharing. I appreciate that your content is well aligned with the assignment brief, the organization is neat and you have nearly flawless language use. You've done a fine job providing supporting information for each specific content area, allowing us readers to gain a clear understanding of who you are.

    From the discussion of your comm skills strength, for example, it's easy to see that you have great potential for being able to paraphrase ideas, which will be useful in the summary portion of our module. In terms of your weakness, presentation skills, I'd like to challenge you to come out of your shell and become the dynamic speaker I know you can be.

    I look forward to working with your further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paraphrasing of professional quote

Critical Reflection